Intensification of the focus on price
- Development of anti-waste practices: purchase of reduced price damaged fruit & vegetables, widespread availability of doggy bags in the catering industry, rising popularity of bulk food, unsold food recovery, etc.
- Rising popularity of homemade and DIY produce via workshops and web tutorials.
- Decline of Hard Discount and sharp rise of Soft Discount: search for the best prices for hedonic purchases, change in the design of retail outlets.
- Success of the “cash-back” strategy (n°1 loyalty policy amongst retailers, followed by free products or gifts).
- Purchase of food products from the vente-privee e-commerce website (MiamMiam: an offer developed by the vente-privee website to boost its gastronomic product sales: wines, champagnes, foie gras, etc.)
The quest for convenience
- Utilitarian brands are now suggesting a range of services: Kellogg’s Special K program, recommendations from bloggers via the program "A nous l’été de Contrex", etc.
- Emergence of convenient delivery options: drive, meal delivery via applications (Deliveroo, Foodora, Fritchi, etc.)
- Anticipation of needs on e-commerce websites: personalised suggestions based on previous baskets and products selected (cross-selling) from e-retailers.
Defiance regarding experts, trust in one’s peers
- Appeal and development of short distribution channels: proximity with producers.
- Expectations regarding supply transparency and traceability.
- Expectations in terms of traceability regarding ingredients.
- Extensive media coverage of food scandals.
- Success of culinary blogs, forums and sharing of other food-related initiatives.
Empowerment of the individual
- Alliance between consumers and the brand in the context of the elaboration of the product mix: participative marketing or crowdfunding (Amora, Auchan, Braineet).
- Customer complaints expressed via associations (UFC-Que Choisir, 60 Millions de consommateurs) or on an individual level via social networks (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter).
- Conscientious or event militant purchasing due to the commercial success of labelling: Max Havelaar, organic, fair trade.
- Development of local food supply networks (Voisin de panier, la Ruche qui dit oui).
- Do it yourself based on kits (Cook Angels).
- Meals cooked at home (Vizeat, Comuneat...)